Monday, March 30, 2009

PRO Status

I had to write a blurb about what being a PRO means to me as well as a little bio for my Romance Writing chapter's website. Here's what I wrote for my bio:

True to form, Christine ***** has worked backwards to achieve her writing credentials. Unaware of word counts or any other writing rules, she wrote her first novel, Love Builds a Chance (don’t laugh), in 2004. Silhouette Desire requested and rejected this novel before she joined RWA in April 2005. Christine found critique group two years later, joined Virginia Romance Writers of America with them, and, after moving to Alabama, she joined Southern Magic and Heart of Dixie in 2008. After settling into her new home, Christine dusted off her many rejections for the first three novels she completed and achieved PRO status. Christine loves to write very spicy Contemporary Romances and has just completed her 4th first draft as she continues to work toward her publishing dream.

I have done everything backwards. And when I read some of the other bios, I feel so small in comparison to what they have already accomplished. But that's okay. I have never done things the easy way. I wrote in my blurb about what being a PRO means to me that I believe it forces me to market my work. And it teaches me how to go about that business. I've learned so much, but the more I learn, the less I know.

At times it is overwhelming. I remember when I decided to write the first book. It was pure joy. Since that first day, I've not always experienced a lot of joy, but I love to write. I'm hooked. I can't stop and if I could avoid all other activities such as housecleaning and laundry and more, then I would just to have more time to write.

I am in revision mode again. I must polish this book. I don't know if it will sell, but I won't know if I don't try to get it out there and that means fixing any glitches I recognize before I pitch it. I feel soooo behind compared to some of the other writers out there in the PRO roster. I'm only just starting to feel like I am on the ball. I still don't have a web site or business cards but I am working toward it. Am I behind? Am I ever going to get there? I don't have anyone here to network with and that is driving me batty. I wish I had a website and a place to look more professional than I am.

Sigh. This day is medium is best.

No comments: