Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Goals for a New Year

Christmas is stripped away and the house is empty of all holiday distractions. School starts in two sleeps and life will become more routine and regulated in the days ahead. The new family calendar is hung on the fridge and is brimming with activities for me, my daughter and more. Travel arrangements are made for two weekends and one full week before we even reach the month of April.

And fresh writing and time to do it is opening up like a well of opportunity for me to drop in my ideas.

Today I will reset my goals on paper, print them out and post them somewhere where I can torture myself with the desire to achieve them. This process helps me regain my focus. And, at the end of the year, I will have the satisfaction of reviewing how many of my personal and career goals I've achieved.

I've always been a list maker, so setting down my goals in concrete terms helps me because I can check each accomplishment off one-by-one, day-by-day, month-by-month.

The biggest goal I have is to actively market my books. That will take courage and conviction and a tough skin.

But I've got all three. They've been hard-won and I don't take them for granted.

No comments: