I've been BICHOK for several days to get ready for the Golden Heart contest run by the Romance Writers of America. I have no idea how any of my entries will do--that's luck of the draw with judging. Not every entry finals but that doesn't mean the entry wasn't excellent. The entries that do final deserve to be there, but this contest is as much a golden lottery to me as a real lottery. So many elements have to be in place. I almost finaled last year, but the statistics weighed against me. This year I stacked the deck with 4 and I hope one might make it through the golden gauntlet. I'll write more about that later--in my letter to all the judges--but I'm happy to say that I am pleased with my growth as a writer and the entries. They're solid contenders and have done well in the past.
Moving on--I took a mini break from ALL writing for a few days. I hung out with a friend and went to the Huntsville Museum of Art. It was lovely. I had a great lunch, viewed some amazing exhibits, and deepened my relationship with a new friend. I also went to the state theater competition to watch my daughter's school drama team perform their one act play--so funny-- and they placed BEST IN SHOW and are going to the regional competition in March 2012 in Chattanooga. I'm looking forward to that trip.
So now I'm sort of back in the chair. I have a few stories to polish, one to really polish, and more to do during the month of December. I am not going to push as hard and work as many hours as I usually do, but I am going to work. At least 100 words a day on the weekends and 2-3 hours of writing during the week.
Meanwhile, I promised to air some dirty laundry on today's blog. Here we go:
1. I am nice to everyone I meet, but I don't like everyone I'm nice to. I've just learned to be nice and keep my opinion private and my attitude in public squeaky clean.
2. Sometimes I want to throw in the towel *cliche alert* and just be a mom, a wife, a friend, a sister. I hate that I am working for quarters and I hate that I am always waiting for someone to determine my fate. It's tough. Really tough. But I don't give up because my stubborn side is stronger than my impatient side. So I'm stubborn.
3. The difference between me and a published author is one phone call or email. I put in the same amount of time and the same effort. I think I am a decent writer and if I had an editor to back me, I'd become a better writer overnight. I respond well to direction. I know plenty of published authors who remember being on my side of the fence and who don't think they're better than me as a person because one day the phone rang and they got a contract. I know of a few, a minority, who do think they can treat me differently because they're published and I'm not. And they are not nice about it at all. Of course, I'm nice to everyone I meet. Even them. *evil grin* Any rate, I am a career writer, not a hobbyist. I take this writing gig very seriously. Ask my friends who want to see me or talk to me when I am in full writing mode. They miss me.
4. I am sad that my husband is out of town for 3 weeks during the holiday season. However, I am not sad that I don't have to cook meals for him. I am living on weight watchers frozen meals for lunch and dinner unless I go out with a friend. I am on a diet. This is good. I lost a pound and a half since he's been gone. Yay!
5. I like my wine. I don't limit myself to one chaste glass or two if I'm feeling wild. I drink however much I please whenever I like after a certain time and if I am in a nice restaurant for lunch I'll *gasp* order a glass of wine to go with my meal. I believe it is the only vice I have left to dump and I'm not dumping it.
6. Being alone has its benefits.
7. I know a lot of people but I don't have many close friends. The friends I have are all super high quality people.
8. I don't like to waste my time with idle chit chat unless I'm with people I don't really know very well. Then I am the Queen of Idle Chit Chat.
9. I am very loyal but if someone betrays me I will sever the relationship. I don't hold grudges, but I won't let anyone stomp all over me or use my vulnerability against me.
10. I am a strong person who has had to fight hard for every thing she's gotten in life, but I don't believe I deserve what I have received. I believe I got lucky and that my God is very good to me. And deep down I am just as scared and vulnerable as the person sitting next to me.
So that's my dirty laundry. What's yours?