Monday, August 10, 2009

School Sets Me Free!

My DD is officially back to school and I am so excited for her! She's a sophomore and ready to meet her new year with confidence.

And so am I. I usually start the weekend before the school year starts by organizing my life/goals/household. Did that. I have my writing and home schedule ready to roll, all my goals posted for each month, commitments posted, deadlines posted, and blank spaces for new curve balls filling in the vastness. I look at it daily, revise it regularly, and utilize it as a road map for my sanity.

It's a road map that can change, had detours on occasion, and doesn't always have check marks next to the goals. But for the most part, it does keep me on track. And I am ready to roll now.

Today I haven't planned any writing other than light edits. I still await my second CP's comments on the MS and I am not rushing. I also want to visit with a friend today because she just popped her only daughter onto the bus for her first day of Kindergarten. I remember that day all too well. It's weird. It's quiet. And it's an emotional roller coaster. I didn't have anyone to help me fill in that time. And ever since, I've been the first to arrange a lunch or coffee with moms who are in that position for the first time.

Besides, I don't like to leap into the void my DD leaves behind. I like to wade into the open waters of time and immerse myself slowly into my new rhythm. I know the days will fill up all to quickly and I don't want to rush into that pattern.

But I am free. Free to clean the stove top, change the sheets, catch up on paperwork, putz around without anybody distracting me, and read through all my blogs I follow.

And I am enjoying every minute of it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great blog. i love connecting with other readers, reviewers, and writers. i'm following you now. you should check out/follow mine. i have all things book related...
nice seeing you.
xo

Christine said...

Thanks Kelly--I just checked out your blog and started following you.

Mary Curry said...

I'm jealous, Christine. When the kids start back to school, so do I (their teacher;) )

Once upon a time I was a stay-at-home mom and looked forward to the day I'd be able to write while my girls were at school. Alas, I got called in to a job interview the very year my youngest started Kindergarten.

But these things have a funny way of working out. I love my job and decided way back that I'd never be able to give up teaching for writing full time. That's what summer vacation is for. :)


I think it's lovely of you to help out the other mothers.

Christine said...

Mary: I am glad you teach because our children need smart, creative leaders and you are one! I am not one--tho' I love children and encourage them all I can, I am not a lover of rules and rulers.

My DD is so special and my heart ... for many years I focused my energy on making her school life great through vol work and more. Now I am straddling the line between helping her out and being me. I am actually missing her homecoming dance preps for the MAGGIES. But she's supporting it all...