Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Looming To-Do List

Sometimes I make longer lists than I can handle. For instance, this week, I had a pretty ambitious writing list and home list. The writing list hardly has any check marks next to it. It was pretty grand in its scope. I'm looking at it going, hmmm, I must have used my home list to distract me from facing the writing tasks I'd given myself to-do. But there were many things on the home list that I had to complete as they'd been pushed to the back burner for a long time because I was busy editing and writing.

I also have had a major distraction that required my attention: the community I live in is battling an unscrupulous developer. We are in the throes of separation from this developer, and he's not making it easy for us. I've used every tool at my disposal to help fight this man, but it's taking a hammer to my well-laid writing plans.

So, what half of what I've accomplished isn't even on the list!

The list so far is whittled down quite significantly on the home life side--

Home:
*organize medical billing/hospital bills/INSURANCE info DONE
*chase down accurate info re: the above line--the joy never ends DONE
*go to school for open house DONE
*the usual everyday chores of laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning and ironing (yes, I iron--don't mock me--I like it) DONE -- THOUGH EVERY DAY CHORES ARE NEVER REALLY DONE.
*plan a menu for the week DONE
*birthday and wedding cards out (and they are late)
*box up books for my adopted mom in Australia
*mail boxed books
*meet a friend and reconnect cause I miss her sunny disposition NOPE--She canceled due to a conflict.
*organize a trip to Asheville with a friend. NOPE--she emailed to say she had no time to talk due to a daylong fight with HP repair people.

Extra Accomplishments:
*several emails and phone calls regarding unscrupulous developer (excellent fodder for future stories--as a writer I can play God and do horrible things to a character based on this vile man)
*phone calls listening to my wonderful friend vent about the yucky situation preventing our meeting
*coordinating a neighborhood party and getting info about the person who wants to work with me
*talking to my two best friends long distance while cleaning toilets, dusting and ironing (that always makes the cleaning time fly by)

But now the writing to-do list looms. On the plus side, I haven't totally been a writing slacker because I've been there for my writing friends. And I believe my brain just needed a break, so it could mull over some plot and story problems plaguing me in regard to the 4th book. One of my writing friends helped me sort through part of the plot issues so I am almost good to go.

Here's what's left on the writing list.

Writing:
*read through MS and look for white spaces and odd typos
*read through and edit synopsis again
*letter for submissions
*put together submissions for the people who requested
*send away and poof, done
*write a quick and dirty story without worrying about structure for fifth MS
*put together a list of questions for the SFO Green Beret & send DONE
*print out the LHAofE grid
*deliver more HOD Workshop flyers. NOPE-was tying that into my trip to see my friend and that was canceled.

I did do the following:
*critiqued a contest entry for a friend
*figured out how to tackle and complete a writing project for another friend

A pretty big list remains. Technically, I have until Sunday to finish it (haha). I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but that's okay. I know that I will manage to accomplish most of what is on the list. Anything that is easy, like printing off the grid. And anything related to my submission will be ticked off by Friday night.

I tend to work well when I have a little fire planted under my behind.

So stay tuned and make me accountable for accomplishing the following things by Friday night:

*read through MS and look for white spaces and odd typos
*read through and edit synopsis again
*letter for submissions
*put together submissions for the people who requested
*send away and poof, done

Stay tuned and make me accountable for accomplishing the following by Sunday night:

*write a quick and dirty story without worrying about structure for fifth MS

Stay tuned and make me accountable for accomplishing the following by September 1st:

*deliver more HOD Workshop flyers

We'll see how burned my behind is by Sunday night--


No comments: