Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 Professional Goals & Top 5 Priority List

At last I am posting my new goals for the 2012 year. Yes, I put in "get an agent" and "get a publishing contract" which might create a bit of controversy because I have no control over these goals other than trying to get them. But I know it will happen and I want the satisfaction of being able to write DONE after each of these goals.

First up, my Top 5 Professional Priority List. This list helps me say YES to the areas of work that will forward my career and they remind me to say NO to the areas of work which will not forward my career. I review this list every quarter and recharge it as necessary. I also have a Personal Top 5 Priority List which I abide by as well.


Top 5 Career Priority List for 2012/1st Quarter (January through March)

1. Write every day with emphasis my revisions.
2. Build a website and have it up by March 31st.
3. Professional development through querying, submitting materials, entering contests, learning technology, building brand name, ongoing craft classes.
4. Coordinate and execute a critique partner meeting in February with Pam and Sia in Atlanta.
5. Attend chapter meetings which further my professional writing career and give me the tools to succeed as a PUBLISHED writer. 


My personal affirmation to guide me throughout the year as I reach for the stars is:



I enjoy being organized, positive and determined to succeed as I focus on pursuing my professional writing career, personal, and family life goals. 

Writing Goals for 2012

*clean and organize office to get ready for the new year
*brainstorm 3 new category books with CPs in February
*write 2 new category books
*revise 4th, 5th, 6th books
*send requested materials to agents by February 1st
*query Mills & Boon with 4th and 5th books
*get head out of sand and ask Mills & Boon about the R&R’s status by January 31st
*Build web site by end of first quarter of the year/March 31st
*Continue revising 1st book for fun
*Enter 4 contests at a minimum with at least 3 manuscripts at all done including the Golden Heart with at least 2 manuscripts
*Attend the RWA National Conference in Anaheim
*Attend Moonlight & Magnolias
*Pitch at both conferences
*build name bible of all names I've used in my books
*maintain personal blog
*continue building my brand name via social media, web page, professional presence in writing world
*get an Agent
*get a publishing contract
*continue building professional mentor relationships
*continue to streamline writing and business of writing with proper schedule
*Review digital and e-publishers for submissions
*take at least two master classes in craft
*judge at least two writing contests
*set Top 5 Priority List and review every quarter
*read for fun
*continue to analyze published books in my genre
*continue learning and growing in my craft with online courses and craft books
*attend chapter meetings which aid in my professional development and in my goal for achieving publication
*build my new critique partnerships
*be courageous, strong, and focused in pursuing my dreams and goals

I'm so excited about the goals and the direction of my writing. I can't wait to start checking them off as DONE!




6 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

That's a lot of stuff. You know I wish you all the best in your endeavors. And thanks for reminding me about the name bible. Something I desperately have to keep up with.

Christine said...

Hi Anne: I tend to set the bar high but I usually reach more than 90% of my goals so it's working for me :-) And you are the second person who has commented about the Name Bible. I'm woefully behind on it as well. But I write it down and it forces me to look at it again.

Happy New Year and best to you in all you endeavor!!

:-)

Rita Bay said...

You're busier than an Energizer Bunny, Christine. I'm a maker of lists that loves to cross out completed tasks. My goals are much fewer. I will submit the sequels - already completed - to my publishers. Learn how to do trailers and make one for the books coming out this year. Join the Georgia Chapter of RWA since I'm in Atlanta so often. Now that enerything's written down, I MUST do them all. BTW, love your blog page. Rita Bay

Lexi said...

Finish the book and start another one, that's my goal!

Christine said...

Hi Rita: I am so glad you like my blog page. Darling Teen created it for me. And I'm also glad you are joining GRWA. Great RWA group and I'm a member, too!! Let me know what meetings you are going to attend and I'll try to make it there. I'm in AL so it is hit or miss for me!!

Hi Lexi: You have tons on your plate and I'm so proud of all you do. Finish the book and start another one is a great goal!!

See you in Birmingham with our Southern Magic writers!

:-)

Katherine Bone said...

Woe! You've got a lot to strive for, Christine! I love how you've identified your goals and narrowed down your focus. Very important in order to achieve the things we'd like to get done. I'm going to study your goal list, in order to create a more individualized list of my own. A friend told me to keep things simple because I tend to overthink, but you've provided some great reminders here.

Thanks for sharing your list and good luck with achieving all the things listed here. Most importantly, best wishes in getting that agent and publishing contract in 2012!