Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Craze

Today I made the mistake of opening up the Christmas Wrapping paper box. Inside it are lists, envelopes with new addresses for updating the CC mailing list and tons of notions singing Christmas Carols. They are like sirens of the deep, these doodads, and I was drawn into their mesmerizing spell.

Suddenly I had visions of baking, shopping, wrapping and more dancing through my head.

Oh, the joy. Oh the thrills.

Thank goodness I waited to open this box until after I had judged the last two entries for the Linda Howard Award of Excellence. Whew. But it was a close call.

I got a bit of spirit in my soul and wrapped DD's 12 Days of Christmas (she opens them up between now and the 24th--always gets jammies on the 24th). I threw out old mangled paper, made lists for this year's wrapping needs and off I went to the stores to round out my supplies. Oh, I can't wait to start making my goodies... more about them later... ooh, excitement.

But still, lingering in the back of my mind were the edits I wanted to input into my current WIP. When I got home, I opened the document and began the arduous task of inputting second run through edits and cuts (wah--hate cutting words) and shifting chapters and scenes. I managed to work for about 1.5 hours. Woohoo. That much closer to reaching the end of this revision.

It's a mess, but ideas are coming and cohesion is occurring. The peeps are chatting to me, slowly, as I am sporadic at meeting them. But at least I am moving forward. Slow and steady.

Meanwhile, the "haze" so many writers are talking about is beginning to overshadow my efforts. As each day creeps closer to Christmas (and our upcoming, unscheduled trip to TX), I know I will have less time to write. But that's okay. At least I haven't stopped altogether.

And the reward for pushing through this month with my writing? Truly enjoying the time I spend with my friends and family. No guilt. No pressure. Just fun and making memories.

2 comments:

Gwen Hernandez said...

The season does make it hard to stay focused. I'm thinking about the reward of not always writing, too. It's on my blog idea list for this week.

You and me on the same wavelength... =)

Christine said...

;) I love it--I'll read your blog about it for sure--I wish today had gone more smoothly... Christmas Chaos all around me.

AACK... still have to do the requisite photo calendars ... meh...