Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Cave In

Well today it officially hit me. Christmas Cave In has arrived. I have fought it valiantly. I wrote almost everyday, and I managed to juggle the chaos of preparing goodies and Christmas shopping for our family well.

Until today.

I finished the first half revise, cut, move, chop and block. I read through the rest of the MS. I am ready to roll. But more importantly, I have to squash two weeks of Christmas into one. Today I realized that something had to give or I would lose my head.

Literally.

DH is in DC and working, DD is studying for Finals and I am in aack it's Christmas already mode. I finished two more recipes (one I will share... one remains with me till... well... illegal use of ellipses I am sure... ), I shopped for DD's final scarf exchange, a birthday party, prepped for DH's trip, made pretzel rods, made chocolate cookies (sorry, not sharing), took care of silly neighborhood issues.

And I am ready to roll for the next half of the MS, but I have to do the following:

*return a gift
*buy two ornaments per tradition
*buy a gift to replace returned gift
*go to Nashville to shop for Christmas, see a friend, buy booze (hey it is cheaper there!), get goodies for FIL
*shop for FIL
*mail Christmas cards (will they ever arrive???)
*iron (bleh)
*more laundry
*cancel paper and mail
*organize packing lists
*pack
*shop for stockings
*finish cooking goodies (don't ask!)
*teacher gifts
*neighborhood gifts
*clean house (bathrooms and floors)
*wrap presents
*uh, uh uh--oh go through in box
*tell insurance my DD has her driving permit and put her on insurance
*attend winter concert
*get hair done (at long last)

Well, at least I'm not hanging out doing nothing............. (More illegal ellipses)

So. I. Must. Stop. Beating. My. Writing Head.

Okay... (just love playing with the ellipses)....

Here is the Pretzel Rod Recipe:

Pretzel Rods (1-4 bags-if you insane like me... well... 4)
2 Cups to many of chocolate morsels (white, dark, milk --I prefer dark)
Christmas Sprinkles

Melt chocolate in microwave according to the directions on the package (I melt a small bag at 2 min, 70% power and stir, add more time as needed/same power). Dip rods into the melted chocolate (please stir first!). Put dipped chocolate rods on cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Sprinkle with Christmas sprinkles (or toffee bits etc). Put into fridge to set. Boom... easy! Kids like this one!

Tomorrow? Praline Pecans.... and I hope my head stays on my neck....

4 comments:

Gwen Hernandez said...

OMG, Christine! I'm overwhelmed just thinking about your week......... ;-)

Hang in there. The pretzel rods sound awesome and easy--just my kind of recipe. I might even make those without a gun pointed at my head. =D

Ellen Brickley said...

Wow, looks like a really busy week - I have a day like that ahead of me today. Hope you keep your sanity through it!

Christine said...

Gwen, I love the pretzel rods. They are super easy and fun to make. Hardest part about them is the overwhelming desire to dip broken rods into the chocolate and create a mini-fondue.

Yes, this week is busy. Usually I spread it out, but I'm putting two weeks into one. Somehow I will manage to get it done. And Nashville should be fun as I get to see a friend, too.

DH is out of town as well. Let the good times roll!

Christine said...

Ellen, it is a busy week, but if I tackle it one day at a time, I think I'll make it without popping a blood vessel. I just wish I could figure out how to squeeze a bit of writing into it. But I did write for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday so that covers my 1/2 an hour a day goal for the week. I hope to work on the revisions while I am in the car on the way to TX. It's a 9 hour drive.