Friday, April 19, 2013

Break Out the Bubbly & the Dark Chocolate: Celebrating Larynn Ford's Debut Novel IN MY WILDEST DREAMS


Debut Author Larynn Ford
Hi Everyone! I met Larynn Ford at a Southern Magic Romance Writer's chapter meeting. She's a lovely person and man has she moved fast into the realm of publication!! I couldn't wait to interview her about her debut release IN MY WILDEST DREAMS when I heard she'd signed a contract with Soul Mate Publishing. Her paranormal romance is the first book she's ever written and she's proof that everyone has a different journey toward publication. Please join me in welcoming Larynn to the Veranda! 

*pop*pour*sip*





Larynn, I'm so glad you're here to share your story toward publication. Tell me, how did you end up becoming a writer?
It was actually reading that led me to the idea of writing. A friend gave me her copy of Twilight to read on vacation. “You have got to read this. It is so good,” she said. Since I hadn’t read in a while, it took a bit but when I got into it, I couldn’t get enough. I craved paranormal and sought out as much as I could read. I’m following at least twelve different series now and somewhere along the way I thought how much fun it would be to create a fantasy world and bring my own characters to life. So began IN MY WILDEST DREAMS.
Wow! That's so wonderful that one person's book recommendation lead to sparking your desire to write. What is your favorite genre to write?
Paranormal romance.
Of course!! It's your inspiration. Are you a plotter or do you follow the muse?
Plotting can only get me so far (maybe I’m doing it wrong). For me, it’s the sudden, unexpected spark of an idea that gets the words flowing.
Everyone has a different process. From what I've learned, most writers think each book they write has a different process toward the end result. So after you're done writing, how do you relax? 
I sleep.
Sleeping is good. I love to sleep whenever I can. When you're not sleeping or writing, what do you read? What are your favorite genres? Who are your favorite authors?
I fell in love with paranormal romance in 2006 and enjoy reading Christine Feehan, Kerrilyn Sparks, Charlaine Harris, and Lindsay Sands to mention a few.
I adore all these authors. They're wonderful storytellers. Tell me, what is your current project?
IN MY WILDEST DREAMS, release day April 17.
 And afterward will you  have any new releases? (For later)
My current WIP is called RESCUED, a paranormal romance about a couple of P I’s (were-cougars) hired to investigate the disappearance of young people. Their findings lead them to discover a widespread operation to harvest and sell body parts. Along the way they discover fate has decided they are life mates and they must deal with their attraction while solving the case.
Oooohhhh, how cool!! I love the premise. Where do you get your ideas for your stories?
 Sometimes, I call on my own memories and say, “What if…” Sometimes a song lyric or in the case of RESCUED, the blue eyes and long, thick, blond lashes of the singer set a scene into motion and the story blossomed from there.
Stories I heard as a child or something as simple as a bridge on Highway 80 that haunts me every time I drive by and begs for its story to be written. Ideas are everywhere.
That's so true, Larynn. Ideas are everywhere. I'm glad you were able to turn your idea into a story. How long were you trying to get published before you got the “call?”
I wrote my first words on June 12, 2009 and signed my first contract on May 21, 2012.
Bam!! Super fast!! I'm so excited for you. How did you celebrate the new book contract?
I checked email before I left for work that morning and found the offer then. After I caught my breath, stopped the happy tears, and calmed down enough to drive, I went to work… with a permanent smile on my face.
A permanent smile sounds lovely. Do you have an agent?
I don’t at this point have an agent. I’m just getting my feet wet with the whole road to publication. I think I need to wade in little deeper before thinking about an agent. As I learn more about the business, I may change my mind…we’ll see.
Yes. There are pros and cons and each writer must make her/his decisions about their career accordingly. Good for you that you're adaptable. What is the most difficult part about writing for you?
Finding the time. I work a more than full time job and am wiped out by the time I get home so weekends and an occasional sprint at lunch are my most productive writing times.
I'm in awe of your dedication to writing given that you have a day job. What advice would you give aspiring writers?
The best advice I got was read, write, read, write. Sounds too simple and I was skeptical but reading really does answer many writing questions
Reading is my muse. All genres. Excellent advice. What encouragement can you give writers who face rejection? 
Never give up. Rejection only means the right person hasn’t read your work yet.

Never give and never surrender are my daily mantras. Thank you so much for popping over to the Veranda to celebrate your debut novel release IN MY WILDEST DREAMS. May all good things continue to come your way. And looking forward to the next book's release as well.

Larynn Ford's book IN MY WILDEST DREAMS can be purchased at the following sites:







6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great interview, ladies. Looking forward to having a moment to sit down and read In My Wildest Dreams.

Larynn Ford said...

Thanks, Meda! Hope you enjoy.

Carla Swafford said...

Congratulations, Larynn!

Larynn Ford said...

Thank you, Carla!

C. R. Bailey said...

Congratulations, Laryn--that's such an exciting story. It encourages us all.

Christine said...

It's been super fun hosting Larynn Ford on the Veranda. So glad you could visit and sit a spell.

:-)