Wednesday, May 21, 2014

From My Pinterest Recipe Board: Tried It & Liked It

Moroccan Meatball Stew. So yummy!
I love Middle Eastern food and Moroccan food. When I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it.



Moroccan Meatball Stew with a Christine Twist

Serves 4 - 6

Soak together:

  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Planko crumbs)
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used skim milk)

Add:

  • 2 lbs ground lamb (or beef)--I used Costco's ground turkey

  • 1 tsp dry oregano
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Turkey Plops--Note the missing Plop. Feline naughtiness.

Mix well and form into 1 1/2 inch balls. Fry the meatballs in in olive oil to brown on all sides. Remove meatballs to a covered, oven safe pan.

Note:  I didn't make balls, the turkey was too soft. Plus I decided to bake the meat rather than fry it. So I basically had to drop plops of the turkey onto a lightly oil sprayed cookie sheet. I baked them for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, the brought them out to cool. Only one went missing because a naughty cat likes spicy food, too. Who knew?

Then I took my Dutch oven and put a little olive oil into it and cooked the following ingredients.
  • 1 diced carrot
  • 1 stalk diced celery
  • 4 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 diced red onion
  • Cooking the veggies. 




















Saute together until the onions soften, then add this mixture to the pan with the meatballs along with:

  • 6 cups diced canned tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup currents -- my local Alabama grocery store didn't have currents, so I got golden raisins and regular raisins instead. Still yummy, but would love to have currents in my pantry.
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 small red chile minced or 1 tbsp chili paste
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • All the delicious ingredients combined. 
  • salt and pepper to season

Place in a 350 degree oven, covered for about and hour, then add:

  • 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed


Return to the oven for an additional hour at 325 degrees F. In the last 10 minutes of cooking time you can add:

  • 1 cup olives (optional) I left out the olives. I didn't think they were necessary and might have overpowered the meal. Had I added olives, I would have added black pitted ones.

Serve over couscous.

I LOVED this recipe. So aromatic and delicious. And really easy to make. I might try to make it with lamb next time, but I liked the ground turkey plops just fine. Hope you try it and while you're waiting for the stew to cook through, check out my heroes on my Pinterest board here.

No comments: