Friday, March 1, 2013

Break Out the Bubbly & the Dark Chocolate: Celebrating Cathy MacRae's Debut Novel THE HIGHLANDER'S ACCIDENTAL BRIDE


My friend and debut novelist Cathy MacRae!!
Hi Everyone! I am so very excited to have my friend and fellow Heart of Dixie RWA Chapter mate on the Veranda today! I was in the meeting when she got the very cool "call" email. Read all about how THE HIGHLANDER'S ACCIDENTAL BRIDE became published today. 
Hi Cathy! I'm so glad you are here. *Pop*Fizz*Pour. Ah, a lovely glass of champagne. Chocolate? MMMM.

Now that we've had a bit of bubbly, tell me Cathy, how did you end up becoming a writer? 
I’ve always loved creating characters and stories for them to inhabit. Joining my local writers’ group solidified my decision to become a published writer.
Wow, that's great. And we are members of fantastic group. Having that kind of support is so vital to new and "old" writers. Cathy, what is your favorite genre to write?  
I am currently writing Scottish historical romance.
I love a man in a kilt! Are you a plotter or do you follow the muse?  
I am a panster! I shy from almost any type of plotting J
Probably better than my current process LOL. How do you relax after a writing day?  
Reading, a movie, a glass of wine…
What do you read? What are your favorite genres? Who are your favorite authors?  
I pretty heavy into historical romance right now, though I like just about anything except horror. I have a HUGE TBR (to be read) stack with a variety of authors in it.
As do I! Now I know you can't be sitting still. What is your current project?  
My current project is a sequel to the book just released Feb. 27, The Highlander’s Accidental Bride. Actually, there is also a sequel to the sequel in the works as well, lol!
Any new releases? 
The Highlander’s Accidental Bride released Feb. 27. Woo hoo!
I love the title. Where do you get your ideas for your stories?  
Most of my story ideas are simply chance remarks or a sudden “Oh, what if…?”
How long were you trying to get published before you got the “call?”  
I started writing historicals 2 years ago. Prior to that, I spent about 4 years learning the craft, discovering my ‘voice’.
How did you celebrate the new book contract?  
I can answer the next 3 questions like this. I was sitting in my local writers’ meeting, listening to the speaker (really, I was), when I realized I had an email from Soul Mate Publishing. I had just sent the acquiring editor a requested revision and was sure the news, coming so quickly, couldn’t be good. But it was a lovely note offering to publish my book, The Highlander’s Accidental Bride! I nudged my friend on my right and she read the email. “Squee!” By the time everyone around me had read the email, we’d pretty much interrupted the meeting, LOL! So, I made the announcement and pretty much floated all the way home! I read over the contract and sent it back a couple of days later.
That was so much fun!! I was glad to celebrate with you. Tell me, do you have an agent? 
No, I do not have an agent.
What advice would you give aspiring writers?  
Write. Learn your craft. Learn your voice. Work with critique partners who will tell you the truth. Keep writing.
I couldn't write without my CP. What encouragement can you give writers who face rejection?  
All writers face rejection. Most still get ideas rejected or at least have to do revisions, rewrite that favorite scene or dialogue. Might as well get used to it. J
What is the most difficult part about writing for you? 
The hardest part is finding all the time I want to write.
Oh, I know that pain!! Not enough hours in the day. What is the most surprising thing you discovered after you received the call? 
Probably the most surprising thing is how much ‘stuff’ there is to do after the book sells to a publisher. My mind is constantly on editing, marketing, the next book…

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your journey to publication, Cathy. I know we'll celebrate in person again.
You can find Cathy MacRae here:


6 comments:

Sandy L. Rowland said...

Congrats on selling to Soul Mate! Wishing you great success and time to write the next book.

derekd said...

Congrats on the release of your new book and on your relationship with Soul Mate Publishing. I wish you luck on sales and on your TBR list!

Patricia Bradley said...

Congratulations, Cathy! I am so excited for you. The Highlander's Accidental Bride is going into my TBR pile!!

Cathy MacRae said...

Thank you, Sandy, and I am looking forward to the weekend and some writing time. :-)

Cathy MacRae said...

Thanks, Derek! I am enjoying being a part of Soul Mate Publishing. At the moment, however,, my TBR list is, well, on the TBD list. :-)

Cathy MacRae said...

Thanks, Patricia! I hope you enjoy the book!