Friday, June 1, 2012

California Dreaming--Dare I Buy a New Bathing Suit???

I've been busy working on the revisions and I've been preparing for our trip to California. The blog has been gathering dust as a result. But the good news is that I have finally spoken with the editor who wants to work with me and she's excited about the changes I've made to my manuscript. And she told me to relax and take my time to get the story right. I'm so relieved. Now I can mull the story, visit with my characters to make sure they are telling me everything I need to know about the story (again), and I have much to do before we leave for California.

The biggest thing I've had to do is shop for clothes and--and--and--the hardest article of clothing to buy was the new bathing suit. I admit it. I have been wearing the same bathing suit since Darling Teen was in the third grade. She graduated from high school this year and I had to face reality. Lycra can only stretch for so long before it loses its snap back ability.

The dreaded day had come. It was time to face the four hundred bathing suits and try on three hundred of them to find the ONE that would work. Sigh. I went to my favorite el cheapo place to shop--TARGET--and braved the daunting challenge. I and a dozen other women of various shapes, sizes, and ages battled to find THE SUIT. I found some cute tops and then couldn't find the matching bottoms in the "I AM TOO BIG TO WEAR A BIKINI" Tankini section.

Frustration. Oh, the horribleness of it.

I was about to give up, but I finally found two one piece suits and hauled them to the fitting room. What is it about fitting room dimensions? They are small, filled with other people's discards, and the lighting does little to enhance one's features. And the mirrors? I think they are funhouse mirrors that are designed to show every pudgy flaw in one's body.

But I pressed on and tried on both suits. A pink one and a purple one. Hooray!! The purple one fit!! And it didn't make me look like a whale trying to be an eel. Best of all, the "sisters" were properly encased and lifted to a natural degree. So I have a new bathing suit. Yay me. Now I'd like to have a second one, but I don't want to tempt the fates and break my winning streak.

Do you have trouble buying bathing suits? Where do you shop? Are you an El Cheapo shopper or Elite Shopper?


No comments: