Monday, May 2, 2011

Powerless in Madison

We've been without power for several days, but we aren't directly coping with it because we're in Nashville till it is restored. There are several neighborhoods around my neighborhood that are back to power thanks to the hard work of the Huntsville Utilities Board. I'm not sure how they are restoring it or what their plan for restoration is, but I hope people can hang tight till they are back on the grid.

Today we head to a hotel, then back to Madison to check on our kitties. The HU has asked us all to prepare our homes for when the power comes back on. We have to unplug small appliances, unplug the computers, turn off lights, and cut the breaker to the hot water tank. All this to prevent damage to our stuff. In a way I am glad we don't have power because I've got to get home to get these things done.

It's weird being a nomad. I haven't written a word. I've talked about writing. But no time to write. And that's okay. This waiting time is okay. I'll be back in front of my computer soon enough. Others will not be so lucky.

We may not have electrical power, but we have other powers to draw from as we weather the next few days. Throughout all of this I hope to maintain a sense of humor and a measure of patience along with a huge dollop of gratitude.

We are beyond lucky!

8 comments:

Pam Asberry said...

I am so sorry you are having to go through this, Christine! I hate it when I am an a roll and then life turns upside down for reasons completely out of my control. I admire your strength and your great attitude; it will get you through this, and hopefully things will get back to normal and you will be writing away again in no time. (((HUGS)))

Christine said...

Thanks so much Pam. I'm just taking it one day at a time. I'm glad I got my blog mojo back. That is a first step. Still can't wrap my brain around fictional writing.

That will come.

Pamela Mason said...

So happy to hear you're okay. Yes, the power thing will be a mess: prepare yourself for what will be growing in the fridge & cold showers. That's nothing compared to the devastation...down my highway is Polk Cty, that suffered destruction as well. I'm just happy to hear you're safe & whole. The last I heard from you was on twitter that night. This a.m.= answered prayer.

Man Candy Fans said...

Christine, it's so good to hear from you. The damage from those storms is mind-boggling. Take care and know that I never stopped thinking about you and Lynn. {{Hugs}}

Christine said...

Hi Pamela: It has been a wild week, but we were so lucky. I'm grateful to be alive and to have a house that is unscathed. We cleaned out the fridge/freezers on Thursday before we hightailed it out of Madison. I do have to go back to deal with kitties and electronic stuff, but we're in good shape. We'll hotel it till the power comes back on. Hopefully that will be by end of today or tomorrow. Patience will be the key. I know it is hard for people in my neighborhood to see other 'hoods with lights on and not see it in our 'hood but the utilities people are going about this very carefully so as not to blow the fragile grid.

So glad to be here!

Christine said...

Vicky, you are such a great friend. It was heartwarming to see all the concerned tweets on my texts whenever I could access them. The worst part for me was not being able to reassure my friends and family for over a day that we were okay. We picked up another cell carrier's phone with buy minutes as you go just for that reason. We're switching providers as soon as hubby's contract with the current provider ends.

We're so lucky. I'm just glad to be alive. The devastation is unbelievable. I hope people remember us even though we aren't the top news story anymore.

Hugs back!!

Gwen Hernandez said...

It has to be hard living without power for so long, but I'm just glad you are all safe. Don't stress about the writing. It can wait. (And maybe you'll get a story out of all this...)

I'll be thinking about you and hoping you're back in your home soon. *hugs*

Christine said...

Thanks Gwen. I think we'll be back in our house soon. Today will be interesting. Lots of roaming around. And work to do. Got to get stuff under control at home.

But we're okay and that is all that matters to me.

:-)