Friday, May 20, 2011

4 Hour Body-Skinny for NYC Check In Time & Recipes

Well I had a fabulous Cheat Day last Saturday, but I've noticed an interesting thing: I can't eat as much of the "bad" stuff as I'd like to eat!! I think this is a neat trick. You think you're going to gorge, but it's impossible to do so when the time comes. I do graze a bit more, but I can't even stand more than a few fries now. And I wasn't able to eat more than half of the amazing Smokehouse burger from Ruby Tuesdays. But, man, it tasted super delicious!!

The hardest part about this diet is the fact that we're not allowed fruit. This makes it difficult to try some recipes that I'm itching to make. However, I'm sticking to it almost religiously till I reach my goal. Once I reach my goal, then I'm adding back a little fruit and some complex carbs. I miss couscous and wild grain rice blends. I don't need them every day, but they are a nice addition to the meal. But as long as I am striving to get skinny, there is no way I'm going to blow it!!

I'm posting some recipes and I hope to get more from you.

Moroccan Grilling Rub from The Huntsville Times Food Section

1/4 c kosher salt (I think this is too much--I'd cut by half or more the next time I make it)
1 tsp. ground pepper
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. all spice (I used a teaspoon because I couldn't find mace and a recipe site said to substitute nutmeg or all spice for the mace)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground mace (or nutmeg or all spice if can't find it in store)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cardamon

Blend well, store in air tight container. Makes half a cup.

I rubbed this all over two pork tenderloins and had plenty leftover for another meal. We grilled the pork and it was delicious!! I served the pork with the turkish spiced meatballs and roasted cauliflower.

Roasted Cauliflower

1 bag frozen cauliflower, thawed and drained
non-stick spray oil
garlic powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray pan with oil. Toss the cauliflower with the spices, place in pan. Roast till slightly browned, turn as necessary.

Moroccan Chicken

1-2 tbsp. moroccan rubbing spice
juice of three lemons
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 chicken breasts halved through the middle
green onion chopped for garnish

Combine lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and Moroccan rub. Whisk till thoroughly combined. Place cut chicken pieces in large plastic ziplock bag or glass bowl. Add marinade and cover all chicken pieces. Marinate 4 hours or overnight. Heat oven to 350 degrees, remove chicken from bag/marinade and place in shallow baking pan. Roast till juices run clear. Serve with sprinkled green onion and your choice of vegetables. Delish!


One Pot Cannellini Florentine (Bush Brothers & Co. Recipe)

4 slices bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon, already cooked and cut it up)
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained (you can use canned but I chose not to)
1 15.5 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, small strips
1-2 tsp. dried basil
crushed pepper flakes
shredded parmesan cheese (we omitted due to diet)
crispy onions (we used dehydrated, non fried onions that were super crunchy and delicious)
olive oil if using already cooked bacon

In large sauce pan, cook bacon over high heat OR add 1-2 tbsp. olive oil and heat. Then add bacon, onion, garlic and cook till slightly browned and tender. Mix in spinach and saute for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for crispy onions and parmesan. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes. (This stays warm in pot for a long time). Serve with onions and cheese (if allowed on diet).

I loved this dish. It was colorful and filling. I'm keeping an eye on Bush Brothers' Bean Recipes--they know what they are doing!!

Porchetta-Style Pork Loin with White Beans from  MEN'S HEALTH Magazine

3 garlic cloves, minced
grated zest of two oranges (I figure zest is not a fruit LOL)
1 tbsp. fennel seeds
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1 pork loin (about 2 lbs. with a a think layer of fat still attached)
2 cans cannellini beans (also called great northern or white beans), drained and rinsed
juice of one lemon

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On cutting board, combine garlic, orange zest, and 1 tbsp of the rosemary till it forms a paste. Scoop it up into a small bowl and add olive oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper then rub paste all over the pork. You can let this sit up to four hours in the fridge. Place pork in roasting pan, insert thermometer, and bake at 450 degrees till the thermometer reads 160 degrees F. (about 30-40 minutes).

Take meat out and let it rest for ten minutes. Meanwhile, in saucepan heat the beans, lemon juice and remaining rosemary (1/2 tbsp) till warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slice the pork and serve with the beans.

We loved this dish and plan to make it again. I also like to take herbs de provence and roll pork loin in the spices, then sear in olive oil, then bake at 400 degrees till the thermometer reaches 160 degrees F. Very fragrant and super delicious.

This week I also peeled parsnips and sliced them on the diagonal, then roasted in pan where I'd just seared the pork loin. I added the parsnips to the baking pan and roasted them with the pork loin. The parsnips got a nice caramelization which gave them a sweet taste (and on this diet any amount of sweetness that doesn't come from sugar is welcomed!). Totally yummy.

As always, I measured myself. Here are this week's stats:

Waist: down .5
Hips: same
Upper Right Thigh: same
Upper Left Thigh: same
Bicep: same

Total Inches Lost this Week: .5
Total Inches Lost to Date: 10!!

So the losses aren't as monumental, but the numbers are going down. I didn't expect to lose off my thighs or bicep. And I wasn't expecting any major losses off the hips or waist. I wasn't able to work out as intensely due to a sore shoulder, but I did walk a lot, so I feel good about the entire week.

So share your successes or frustrations with me about your weight loss/diet goals. And if you have any good recipes bring them on!!

8 comments:

Katherine Bone said...

Wow! You must be a gourmet cook, Christine. I simply don't have time to experiment like this, but I am proud of you for putting so much effort into your diet. ;)

I've always believed that portions were what mattered. So when I go out and eat, I try to manage portions. When I'm home, I do more of the same.

This morning, I wanted more of the cinnamon loaf I made. You'll be happy to know that I resisted the urge. Woot! That's big! ;)

Keep on track and soon you'll look like Raquel Welch, girl.

Melanie Dickerson said...

I love trying new recipes! Thanks for these, Christine! I'll have to try these soon.
I'm trying to lose weight too. I have so much to lose, you would think it would be easy. But it's not! ARGH!

Christine said...

Hi Kathy: You know I love to cook. It is a creative outlet for me. And fortunately my hubby is not afraid to try new dishes. I'm so proud of you for resisting the next piece of cinnamon loaf!! You'll be looking like Raquel soon, too!

Christine said...

Hi Melanie: I know! It seems to take longer and longer for me to lose weight the older I get. In fact, that's why I don't weigh myself. I am only measuring my inches because it is more gratifying and makes me motivated to keep going. If the scale doesn't cooperate, I rebel and eat a cookie!

Good luck and keep me posted! I hope you try some of the recipes!

Katherine Bone said...

If only... ;)

Christine said...

Kathy--you are gorgeous now--you'd just be MORE gorgeous after you achieve your goals~

:-)

Gwen Hernandez said...

Great job, Christine! Progress is progress. The Cannellini Florentine sounds good. I love beans. We make a similar roasted cauliflower from a Wegman's recipe.

I find EatingWell.com has a lot of great recipes organized in a variety of ways. We use them to find recipes for things in season, for example.

It'll be great to see the results of all your hard work this summer!

Christine said...

Thanks for the great tips, Gwen. I'll check out the magazine.

:-)