Monday, December 31, 2012

Writing Goals for 2013


I'm gearing up for 2013. This year I plan to focus on finding homes for my manuscripts and to continue building my knowledge of the craft. I am NOT entering any contests. Instead, I am focusing on querying and honing my skills as a writer. I need to get faster, better, more efficient. I tend to write messy first drafts and then clean them up, layering in elements of setting and emotion as I go. This year I want to revisit 3 of my favorite manuscripts, stories with legs to carry them, and see if they can find a home in the publishing world. At the same time, I also need to generate new stories. Much depends upon who bites first. Really. What I choose to write about will hinge on who wants to BUY my stories. I want to become published. I want that credential. And I'm putting it out there as a challenge to myself. If I write it. If I believe it. I will become it. I know I have little to zip control over the "get a publishing contract" but I have to write it to believe it. 

Writing Goals for 2013

*clean and organize office to get ready for the new year
*finish first draft LHD by end of January
*revise MINO by mid February. 
*check in with editor by Feb. 1 regarding MINO
*revise first three chapters of LHD and be ready to query to editor by mid February
*March: revise and query MAVERICK
*April: revise and query HPOL
*May: revise and query TYCOON
*build query list for above three books
*go to both readers’ luncheons and participate with Digging Out of Distraction basket
*brainstorm 2 new category books with CPs
*write 2 new category books
*Attend the RWA National Conference in Atlanta
*Attend Moonlight & Magnolias
*Pitch at both conferences if necessary
*build name bible of all names I've used in my books
*maintain personal blog
*add new feature to blog for recipe rut
*continue to build my brand name via social media, web page, professional presence in writing world
*coordinate the Linda Howard Award of Excellence for 2013
*get a publishing contract
*continue building professional mentor relationships
*continue to streamline writing and business of writing with proper schedule
*Review digital and e-publishers for submissions
*take at least two master classes in craft; one with Margie Lawson
*judge at least two writing contests
*set Top 5 Priority List and review every quarter
*read for fun
*continue to analyze published books in my genre
*continue learning and growing in my craft with online courses and craft books
*attend chapter meetings which aid in my professional development and in my goal for achieving publication
*build my new critique partnership
*be courageous, strong, and focused in pursuing my dreams and goals

And now, because I adore this man and his books and his writing knowledge, I leave you with this quote. Carry it with you as you venture into this new writing year. 

I hope that your measure of success will be not the gratification of getting an agent or seeing your name on the cover, but putting together a novel of real depth--of having something to say and saying it in a story with lasting power. Donald Maass

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this. Great, realistic goals. (Yes, realistic.) Best of luck!

Christine said...

Thanks Kristin. I think they are realistic and attainable with hard work and focus. The trick is to push down the negative waves that occur and mentally find paths around boulders. I have developed a very thick skin and a great circle of support to help with that issue :-)

Wishing you all the best in 2013!!

Dana said...

Great post, Christine. I think you are on track to reach those goals and I wish you all the best in 2013!

Plus...you've inspired me to create my own set of goals and post them on my much neglected blog. Thanks for spreading the love and motivation.

Best wishes,

Dana

Christine said...

Hi Dana: thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you are inspired to write your goals out and post them on your blog. It's a great way to create a system of accountability for oneself.

Happy New Year!!!

:-)

Unknown said...

Way to get organized! You inspire me. Best wishes for much success in 2013.

Ellen Brickley said...

Best of luck for 2013 :) I always love your goal lists, they make me feel ver empowered!